Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Song Analysis: "Rude Boy" by Rihanna

"Rude Boy"
Rihanna

   I wanted to chose a very popular pop song that we hadn't talked about in class, so I thought Rihanna was appropriate.  This song is, unsurprisingly, about sex.  It isn't hard to interpret. However, I do want to point out a switch within the song.  At first the man has power in the verses.  Rihanna says she's "gonna let him be the captain" and it's all about what he wants and how good he can be. But then in the second half it is all what Rihanna wants and how she wants to do it.  It's weird to me because it seems like she is taunting him to be able to fill the dominant, masculine role of sexuality.  She wants him to "give it to her" and "take her there"; she wants him to be in charge.  But then her language suggests that she has power because she is directing him to do so by her "I'm going to let you...".  But, does she really have power if she is just fulfilling the typical female role of an object of pleasure?  Even when she says what she wants, the chorus throughout the song is "I want what you want"... so are her desires even relevant? 
  The video adds to the sexuality with sexual dancing and gestures referring to sex.  There is also a lot of animal imagery and "native" looking costumes which I think adds an even more animalistic tone to the song.  It is primal; there is no emotion or connection involved.  Their night is just about pleasure and "measuring up," that's it.  One thing we mentioned in class that I think is prevalent in this song is the sexuality evident in her voice alone.  She growls at appropriate times and you can hear her body moving through her sound and voice.  She also snarls her lip and I think if you listen close you can hear it (or imagine it) in her voice. 




Lyrics:

Come here, rude boy, boy; can you get it up?Come here rude boy, boy; is you big enough?Take it, take it baby, babyTake it, take it; love me, love me[x2]
Tonight I'ma let you be the captainTonight I'ma let you do your thing, yeahTonight I'ma let you be a riderGiddy-up, giddy-up, giddy-up babeTonight I'ma let it be fireTonight I'ma let you take me higherTonight, baby, we could get it on, yeah, we could get it on, yeah
Do you like it?Boy, I want, want, want whatchu want, want, wantGive it to me, baby like boom, boom, boomWhat I want, want, want is what you want, want, wantNah nah-ah
[Chorus]Come here, rude boy, boy, can you get it up?Come here, rude boy, boy, is you big enough?Take it, take it, baby, baby, take it, take it, love me, love me[x2]
Tonight I'ma give it to ya harderTonight I'ma turn ya body outRelax; let me do it how I wannaIf you got it I need it and I'ma put it down[ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/rude-boy-lyrics-rihanna.html ]Buckle up; I'ma give it to ya strongerHands up; we could go a little longerTonight I'ma get a little crazy, get a little crazy, baby
Like it?Boy, I want, want, want whatchu want, want, wantGive it to me, baby like boom, boom, boomWhat I want, want, want is what you want, want, wantNah nah-ah
[Chorus]Come here, rude boy, boy can you get it up?Come here rude boy, boy is your big enough?Take it, take it, baby, baby, take it, take it, love me, love me[x2]
I like the way you touch me thereI like the way you pull my hairBabe, if I don't feel it I ain't faking, no, noI like when you tell me 'kiss you there'I like when you tell me 'move it there'So giddy-up; time to get it up: you say you a rude boy: show me what you got nowCome here right now
Take it, take it, baby, baby, take it, take it, love me, love me
[Chorus]Come here, rude boy, boy, can you get it up?Come here, rude boy, boy, is you big enough?Take it, take it, baby, baby, take it, take it, love me, love me[x2]

Read more: RIHANNA - RUDE BOY LYRICS http://www.metrolyrics.com/rude-boy-lyrics-rihanna.html#ixzz1kVNZuRJ8
Copied from MetroLyrics.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment