Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Music Videos and Meaning.

"Seduced by the Sign"

 by Sheila Whiteley


This chapter talks about the relation between music and visual imagery particularly in music videos.  She explores this by analyzing the video "Justify My Love" by Madonna.  She starts by analyzing the music in a very technical sense, then moves to the video. The chapter shows that music videos can give songs a more concrete meaning because the images give meaning to ambiguous things in the song/lyrics.  The video provides clearer interpretation of the song.  However,  it also limits the interpretation of the song because it is assigned meaning through the video rather than the listener assigning meaning through their own interpretation.

"Justify My Love" music video.


This is the last music video I have watched that told a story through the video that I wouldn't have gotten from just listening to the song and now the meaning for me is changed from what it was. This is "The One that got Away" by Katy Perry.  I didn't choose it because I think it is the best representation, just that it is the most recent one I have watched. 




Lady Gaga also has a racy video that assigns a little different meaning than when you first hear the song.



Discussion questions:

1. What meanings have you gained from music videos that you have been disappointed with? Have you ever thought a song was about one thing and then, upon watching the video, realize or decide it was about something entirely different?

2.  What do you think about the "powers" displayed in the video? Do you agree with the author?

3. Does watching videos like Justify My Love make you uncomfortable? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment